Contact: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences

Vol. 5, Issue 1, Part A (2023)

An experimental study on effect of deep breathing exercise in promoting quality of sleep among geriatrics those are staying in a selected old age home, Bhubaneswar, Odisha

Author(s):

Urmila Swain

Abstract:

Sleep disturbances is a common problem in the society at large with disastrous health implications the most notable change in elderly sleep architecture is decrease quality of sleep, increase sleep disturbance, difficulty falling and maintaining sleep. There is an increasing in non-pharmacological interventions, among which deep breathing exercise is powerful method help to increase sleep quality in geriatrics. In the present study, a pre-experimental, one group pre-test, post-test design was adopted to assess the effect of deep breathing exercise on quality of sleep among geriatrics in selected old age home, Bhubaneswar by taking 60 participants. They were geriatrics between 60 to 80 years of age. Sampling technique was simple raandom sampling method. The tool used for the study included interview schedule for socio demographic variables, standardized self-rating sleep quality index to assess effect of deep breathing exercise on quality of sleep. A simple four-step breathing exercise was created, each of which was performed three times daily for fifteen days. During the pre-test, the majority of samples (87%) had modest sleep quality, while 13% had moderate sleep quality. At the time of the post-test, the majority of study samples (52%) had moderate sleep quality, while the remainder (48%) had mild sleep quality. This study concluded this study found that deep breathing exercises with an appropriate tool increase sleep quality in 60-80-year-olds. Deep breathing exercises improved PSQI global sleep quality in this study. The intervention improved geriatric sleep quality. Deep breathing exercises improve elderly sleep quality. Deep breathing exercises improve geriatrics' sleep, according to the study.

Pages: 40-43  |  383 Views  171 Downloads

How to cite this article:
Urmila Swain. An experimental study on effect of deep breathing exercise in promoting quality of sleep among geriatrics those are staying in a selected old age home, Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Int. J. Nurs. Health Sci. 2023;5(1):40-43. DOI: 10.33545/26649187.2023.v5.i1a.45